A slightly richer, more elegant take on hummus. It makes a fabulous appetizer, one that looks like it took much more time to prepare than the 5 minutes it actually requires. And for avocado toast lovers, swap out your regular plain avocado with this avocado hummus, sprinkle with some Dukka or Za’atar and flaky sea salt, and devour for breakfast. Yes please!
- 1 15 oz can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium or 1 large avocado
- 1/2 cup yogurt (I like sheep's milk)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 TBSP freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup pistachios, toasted
- extra virgin olive oil
- flaky sea salt
- pita, crackers or baguette for serving
- 1. Combine all ingredients except pistachios and olive oil in a food processor and mix until smooth. Taste for seasoning and add more lime juice, cumin or salt as needed. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl, drizzle with olive oil, garnish with pistachios and flaky sea salt. Serve immediately. If not serving immediately, hold on the pistachios and sea salt - cover hummus completely with a layer of olive oil to prevent oxidation, then cover tightly and refrigerate. Add pistachios and salt before serving.
I’m a mom of two young boys, a sommelier, a former restaurateur, and a passionate home cook. I believe in eating well and celebrating life every day, not just on weekends or holidays or vacation. With delicious, healthy food, good wine and family and friends gathered around the table. This is my happy place.
My goal is to inspire to get you into the kitchen, and to take the mystery out of serving wine with food. On a Tuesday night. With picky eaters, even toddlers. It’s totally doable. Especially with a glass of wine. Trust me.