A tart and refreshing aperitivo incorporating the potent Petal and Berry Tonic from Amanda Chantal Bacon’s gorgeous Moon Juice Cookbook and the exotic rose and silica-based Beauty Water Cocktail Mix from the fabulous Sakara Life. I love it with a low-alcohol, natural sparkling wine like the Tinc Set Pet’Nat from Spain. But it’s equally delicious with bubbly water. The ingredient list is short but definitely fringe, like the beautifying Schisandra berry; thankfully all are easily sourced on Amazon. Note: the Sakara Cocktail Mix is totally optional and not integral here. Sub a dash of liquid stevia or agave in its place for a slight touch of sweetness to balance the tartness of the hibiscus-goji tea.
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 1/4 cup dried hisbiscus flowers
- 1 tsp ground schisandra berries
- 2 tsp rose water
- 1 tsp Sakara Beauty Water (optional)
- Sparkling wine
- 1. Put the water on to boil. Grind schisandra berries to a powder in a spice or coffee grinder, and add 1 tsp to a 1-quart glass jar along with goji berries and hibiscus flowers. Add boiling water to the jar and set aside to steep for at least 1 hour.
- 2. Strain and reserve the solids for a second batch, saving a few plumped goji berries to garnish your cocktails. (I also like to use the hibiscus/goji combo in mango smoothies.) Stir rose water into strained tea and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- 3. When ready to make your Beauty Cocktails, mix 1/4 cup tea with 1 tsp Sakara Beauty Water (if using, or agave) and top with sparkling wine. Garnish with a few plumped goji berries.
I’m a mom of two young boys, a sommelier, a former restaurateur, and a passionate home cook. I believe in eating well and celebrating life every day, not just on weekends or holidays or vacation. With delicious, healthy food, good wine and family and friends gathered around the table. This is my happy place.
My goal is to inspire to get you into the kitchen, and to take the mystery out of serving wine with food. On a Tuesday night. With picky eaters, even toddlers. It’s totally doable. Especially with a glass of wine. Trust me.